Stunt driving! Building on the skills we learned Saturday, we started off the morning doing 90 degree turns on a mark in our trusty rental cars. They explained the concept, and sent us down the lot towards a wall of traffic cones. The first time I tried this, I barely went anywhere. Partially due to the fact that I was nervous about the possibility of hitting one of the assisting students by the sidelines, and partially because I am not used to letting go of control in a car. The second time I tried, I got a little farther, but still not great. However, the third time around I confidently asserted that I was going to get it right, and I did. Didn't quite make it all the way to the wall, which was our mark, and it definitely wasn't all that pretty, but the technique was there. It's easier to refine something like that when you know you can get it. We also worked on turning 90 degrees and immediately driving out of it (you'd be surprised how many issues there were with this), and turning a full 180 degrees. The last thing we did, which our instructors don't do with every class, was a tiny course containing two 90 degree turns back to back. Here's the video of me going through:
Not as smooth coming out at the end as I may have liked, but it was very fun.
On another note, my laundry situation by this time was truly desperate. I actually had to wear my bottom layer of fire burn clothes (a simple cotton t-shirt) to class because I had no other clean clothes. Seriously. None. Guess I didn't pack enough shirts from home. So I went with a few friends of mine to the laundromat, and got there around 9 PM. They were supposed to stop letting new people in around 8:30, but they still allowed us to wash our clothes as long as we got out by 10. Good thing, too, since the laundry room at the hotel was in use all night. And by room, I mean glorified closet with one washer and one dryer. Finished drying my clothes early the next morning, though, and the machine did a good job, so I really can't complain. All clean clothes for the rest of the trip!
No comments:
Post a Comment