Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Day 8: Defying Gravity

Or: How to Work with It So You Can Minimize Bruising on Stair Falls.

Guess what we started our morning with on Monday?

Now, these were actually not nearly as painful as you might guess. Although, I did start off the day being the least bruised that I've been since I got here, and now I've got some very impressive splotches of black and blue all over my arms and thighs. I must admit, this actually made me nervous before I tried it the first time, as I haven't fallen down stairs since childhood, and never on purpose. After that first time, though, I jumped back up and set myself up for another fall because it was so fun. Now I'm not going to give away the technique behind it, but basically, the faster we went and the more we screamed, the better it looked.

The second part of the day was spent using (or, in my case, trying very hard to use) mini tramp[oline]s. For some reason, I wasn't punching it when I went to jump, and got very little air. The whole point is to try and get as much air as possible, so that was mildly frustrating. Gymnastics facilities, of which Richmond has plenty, have mini tramps, so I'm going to take lessons or join up or do whatever it takes to work on that skill until I get it right. And I am completely serious on that point.

We ended the day with a back fall onto a large pad, which is like what we'll be doing with high falls. Now THAT was fun! It wasn't from a great height, but it has definitely left me looking forward to the real thing next week.

After we got back to the hotel, we took a couple vans to the Value Village down the street to purchase fire burn clothing. Lots of layers, and each one has a purpose. Luckily, I found a pair of jeans for 99 cents, so it didn't end up being too expensive in the end. Getting excited for the stunt!

No comments:

Post a Comment