
Never in my life have I experienced such complete and all-pervasive soreness as I did this morning. There were fewer of us at breakfast when 7:30 rolled around, and every one of us in there was having issues with the whole movement thing. We found out later, this means we were doing things right in class. I personally had not, before today, felt my neck be this sore; I actually woke up this morning and began to wonder if I was getting sick, since my throat felt strange, before I realized that the discomfort was the result of the front of my neck being sore. Now, what did we do when we got to class at 9 AM? We stretched, and warmed up, and, as you may have guessed from the title of this blog post, we worked on reactions to the punch we learned yesterday, as well as more variations on that same punch. After an uncertain start, I finally started getting it- there's so much to remember in the space of a split section, AND we're supposed to be in character the whole time. By the way, this program kind of has an acting class built in, which is nice.
We did maybe 7 different punches, 8 different kicks, and reacted accordingly to everything. We partnered with several different people. I got a pretty good mix of good and bad partners, though I do wish I'd had a few more of the former, since I love being challenged. And since that's a big reason I'm here. It was really nice getting to work with different people, and adjusting to everyone's styles (and heights!). I almost got punched a couple of times, but nothing too alarmingly close, and not too many times. One guy actually did get clocked, and had to run off to the bathroom to deal with a bloody nose. When he came back, we saw he had a small scratch above his eye and the skin around it was swollen. Chances are it'll turn into a colorful shiner by tomorrow. He bounced right back, though, and continued on with the exercises. While it was unpleasant, I'm sure, for him to get hit (his partner was a BIG guy), he didn't seem to bothered by the mark it left on his face. Since bruises are unavoidable in this line of work, it is rather nice to be around people who consider them to be a point of pride. "Oh, MAN, look at the one on my knee! Will you take a picture of this for me? I've got to put this on my blog!" Actual words from my roommate, and I will probably be saying the same exact thing to her tomorrow. Though I'm not planning on getting a black eye!
After walking to the grocery store with a few fellow classmates when we got back from class in the evening, we stopped at Baskin Robbins and got some ice cream. Me, being the child at heart that I occasionally admit to being, obviously got a clown cone, which is pictured above. The girl working there told me she'd never made one before, but I still think she did a pretty good job. Once we arrived back at the motel, I decided to spend the rest of my night in the apartment doing various things that didn't involve moving far at all. And on that note, I am falling asleep at my computer, even though it's not very late here. Long day today, and long day ahead- love it!!
No comments:
Post a Comment