Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 5: "We'll have us a knife fight."

As y'all probably can guess, today's class involved learning weaponry techniques. However, the title of this post is not *entirely* accurate, simply because we learned how to use a knife AND club. I just really wanted to use a Kill Bill quote. Knife class was in the morning, and (as trite as I surely must sound by now), it was great. I love how tight and quick all the movements are. It's almost like dancing, but with slightly more risk. Obviously, we used prop knives that were nowhere near sharp, but they still were made from aluminum and would not be fun to be accidently hit with. My roommate, Maya, and I will be working more together tomorrow, and probably performing together the fight which will be filmed and critiqued by Dave. We are moving at a much faster pace now that we know the fundamentals, and they are trying to prepare us for the pace of the real world. Maya is much closer to my size than my last partner, and we move in a similar fashion, so we are both excited to work on this fight tomorrow. We'll be starting out the choreographed fight with clubs, though, which (for us) are sticks made from rattan. The clubs use much broader and bigger action and movement, but it was fun to do that as well. To compare the two styles would be akin to comparing apples and oranges. I'm definitely looking forward to the combination of the two in the fight tomorrow. Of the two, though, I think I was a little better with the knife. But then, I'm not the instructor!

Once we got back to the hotel, I showered and proceeded to wait around for some folks to get back from running errands and such so we could watch a movie. Unfortunately, they sat down to start watching it at about 10 PM when we were originally supposed to start at 8. On that note, I still need to see Kick-Ass.

After such an exhausting day, I need to get some sleep so I can do it all over again tomorrow.

Day off Sunday! And by then, it definitely will have been earned.

No comments:

Post a Comment