Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 3: Dazed and Confused

I'll explain the title in a minute.

We did flips, rolls, and tosses today! Being a lightweight person myself, I am very easy to throw around, as evidenced by the exercises of this morning. Obviously, I went flying a lot, and it was a great time. We also worked a lot on strangling and hair-pulling. My partner for that was great to work with, and we ended up improvising a lot. For example, he threw me down on the ground with one hand grabbing my hair, and I went into a break fall. He then picked me up and dragged me, kicking and screaming, across half of the room. And guess what, Mom and Dad? Since we did it right, it didn't hurt one bit! We broke for lunch, and some of us ate outside since we were having such beautiful weather.

This is the point where I explain my title.

After lunch, we did some more tossing, and I was thrown onto mats several times. Again. And it was fun. Again. Then we moved on to body blocks, which entail one person running across the room at another, jumping into the air, extending themselves so they are flat and parallel to the ground, and slamming into the person who was just plain standing there. I won't tell you the magic trick behind this move, but take note that it's very cool looking and, if done correctly, does not hurt one bit. As a matter of fact, there's really not supposed to be that much contact after the initial hit that makes both parties fall over. So I was standing in line in front of the guy from Denmark. Very nice guy, and while we were having light conversation and watching the others he told me he weighed 95 kilos. I looked it up, and that's roughly 209 pounds, though I didn't know it at the time. So I went and flew into the person in front of me in line, and did well, got up, no problem. Turn around to be the victim for the guy behind me, when I looked and saw who it was. Luckily, he did it right, and I was smiling as I got up at the end. It was quite a hilarious moment, if I do say so myself. And yes, ladies and gentlemen.... we have that video!



Now, it so happened that he was the one to fly into me the second go round, which was also fine, and the third.

Ah, the third.

That's when things went awry.

He ended up jumping too high, hitting his hip against my head. When I got up, Mike (one of the instructors in the room) helped me over to a chair because I wasn't walking well and everything looked a little funny. I'll also have y'all know I was grinning like an idiot. I only had to sit out for maybe 30-45 minutes to get my bearings again, but I was able to get back up for the final fight sequence choreographed by Dave for us to perform in front of a camera tomorrow. Don't worry, family- it takes more than a 209 pound Danish man to keep me down! But, seriously, it was an accident. They happen. He was very apologetic, and there was no lasting damage, and no concussion. The fight is going to be very cool, and I practiced with some fellow students this evening at the hotel before tucking in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment