Saturday, August 21, 2010

Day 19: Air ram and (for some) more high falls

Our day today was divided into two parts: we could either do air ram or high falls, one in the morning and one after lunch. Essentially, the air ram is a small mechanized catapult that is designed to shoot a person through the air. Because my neck is still healing, I knew I had one good turn in me, so I opted for the air ram group in the morning. The first run through (after several practice runs, of course) ended with no satisfactory launches for me. I kept placing my foot too high on the machine, which prevented it from going off. It's a very precise device, and if you don't use it in a very specific manner, it either won't go off or it could potentially cause injury. I was very focused on trying to not injure my back, so I was admittedly a bit nervous in my approach. However, the second time through, I told myself I would get it, no matter what. After maybe two more unsuccessful attempts, the instructor gave me permission to look at the pad where the trigger was as I ran up to it. As soon as he said that, I landed perfectly and was launched high into the air. After all the times it hadn't gone off, I was so shocked I'd actually done it I almost forgot to complete the move. The end result was a bit sloppy, but I was still glad I'd done one. And it ended up being my only turn on that, since my back got aggravated again when I landed on the pads. Not enough to hurt it further, it was just my body's way of telling me it was done for the day. Again. I'm very glad this has only been a trend in the last few days, and not so bad that I have to sit out of everything. Even though the landing was a bit rough, I definitely want to get on an air ram again- it may be somewhat dangerous, but it sure is fun!

The second half of the day was spent in high falls. Since I like having a task to do, I volunteered to be a safety most of the time, and filmed my fellow students with their various cameras when I was simply a bystander. One of these days, I'll get to do a high fall. Maybe if I go to that week long workshop in Atlanta this November....





On another note, here are some wire videos from yesterday!

Flips:





Jumping up onto a barrel:



Spinning:

No comments:

Post a Comment